Parenting on My Knees
Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Renee Swope

I woke up at 2:15 this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep. Hi, I’m Renee Swope for Proverbs 31 Ministries.

My mind was tossing and turning with concerns and prayers for my son who's going through a hard time. It's all part of being the mom of a teenager. I’d prayed for him before he went to bed, asking God to be real to my son. I’d asked God to protect his heart and mind and to help us navigate this new parenting phase as our son becomes the man God created him to be. I fell asleep praying and woke up praying.

I know I can't talk my child out of how he's feeling. I can't give him a promise from the Bible and expect it to make him happy. I can't deny or figure out what he's going through. The best thing I can do is pray, and love him. And pray some more. I have a feeling I'm gonna be parenting on my knees a lot these next few years.

For more parenting encouragement, visit Proverbs31.org.

Related Resources
Visit Renee’s Blog

Everyday Life Encouragement, Spiritual Warfare and Praying for Your Kids, by Jennifer Leigh Ryan

When Your Child is Hurting: Helping Your Child Survive the Ups and Downs of Life by Glynnis Whitwer

Labels: , , , ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my...believe me when I say "I get it." I have one in his early 20's one in his late teens...they are both struggling. The battle at times seems long and hard...our pain is real and deep as we hurt for them and the challenges they face. You wonder how love can hurt SO much... and then you remind yourself how much more the FATHER loves them.

Yes, it is turbulent through these years. There are so many temptations truly "out to get them" and catch us off guard as parents...these things try to move us out of the promised "peace" that passes understanding.

How we need each other...to pray for each other's children (adult-ish) children...and to comfort one another, encourage one another and pray for one another....

How many nights I have awakened...as fear seeks to have it's way in my thoughts...I am reminded to use my SWORD of the Spirit...

Psalm 91 "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!" For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper...."

We find comfort in His Word...and encourage one another that He is still in control (when everything else seems to be spinning out).

God bless you, dear sister...and all you dear sisters who are wrestling in prayer before the LORD on behalf of your children. Be of good courage...He is on your side and will battle for them and you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read "Parenting on My Knee's" I kept thinking to myself that I am not alone I am not the only one that pleads and asks God to help us and to guard my children's hearts and minds and to keep them safe. The thing is we are only in the 3rd grade. I just pray that God gives me the strength and wisdom to be the parent they need through every stage. Tnank you for the encouragement even in your pain. ("God is faithful..."
1 Corinthians Ch 1 vs 9) And thank you Anonymous who said God is on our side and will battle for us and our children. God Bless all of You!!!!!!!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits