I Told You So
Radio Hostess: Lysa TerKeurst
Contributing Writer: Lysa TerKeurst

Sometimes I can’t resist telling my kids “I told you so” over and over again! Hi I’m Lysa TerKeurst for Proverbs 31 Ministries. During a recent family beach trip I found myself digging the aloe out of the bottom of my suitcase and saying, "One day you'll learn when I say you need sunscreen- you should listen."

It would have sufficed for me to simply stop there. But with each complaint about how painful a sunburn is, I just had to say "You should have listened to your mama" again. Finally, my daughter quietly said, "Mom, I've learned my lesson. Please stop saying how you were right and I was wrong. Just think how you would feel if someone followed you around for a whole day reminding you of your mistake."

It stopped me dead in my self righteous tracks. I carefully took her sunburned body into my arms and apologized. Lesson learned for both of us.

For more ideas on wisdom based parenting click on “Today’s show” at Proverbs 31.org.

Related Resources
Visit Lysa’s Blog

A Mom’s Conversation with God

A Praying Mom

Out of the Mouth of Babes by Wendy Pope


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits