I Hate to Be a Burden
Radio Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Renee Swope

My email was supposed to be a prayer request, but it started out sounding more like an apology. Hi, I’m Renee Swope from Proverbs 31 Ministries. I needed friends to pray, but I hesitated to ask. I didn't want my request to be a burden for anyone.

My husband was having health problems and a biopsy done that week, but I wasn’t sure if it was going to be anything serious in the end. I just knew that I didn’t want to walk through it alone or in my own strength. Fifteen minutes after I sent the email several friends started telling me they were praying. Not only did they pray - they thanked me for sharing what was going on and for letting them be there for me.

For someone who hates to impose on others, I need to remember that asking for prayer isn't about putting burdens on my friends. It's about letting them walk by my side down a path that I was never intended to walk alone. For more encouragement, visit proverbs31.org.

Related Resources

Visit Renee’s Blog

I Hate to be a Burden by Renee Swope

The Power of a Praying Friend free devotion by Renee Swope

The Friends We Keep by Sarah Zacharias Davis


1 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer Renee said...

Thank you for this. So many times I feel like a burden to everyone. I feel like I'll be a burden if I ask someone for help with something. I feel like I'll be putting them out of their way. I never feel comfortable asking people at church to pray for me. I do, however, feel more comfortable emailing a close friend and sharing what I'm going through and ask for prayer.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits