Reality Discipline with Younger Children
Hostess: Lysa TerKeurst
Contributing Writer: Lysa TerKeurst

Reality discipline for younger kids- is it possible? Hi, I’m Lysa TerKeurst for Proverbs 31 Ministries. While it has been a while since my kids were preschool age... I do remember holding on for dear life sometimes, exclaiming --- this too shall pass!

My reality discipline ideas during that phase seemed to be centered around privileges.

When my kids played with their toys correctly, and put them away when asked, they showed they were responsible enough to have a few extra minutes added to their bedtime. But if they were defiant, this showed me they needed extra which meant fewer privileges.

Whatever the consequence, I made sure it was tied to the action. Also, I tried to make sure that I thought of safe and reasonable consequences before my kids pushed my buttons. Otherwise, emotions pushed over the edge will often cause us to throw out threats that we won’t carry through.

For more, visit Proverbs 31.org.

Related Resources
The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained by Lysa TerKeurst

P31 Magazine

Visit Lysa’s Blog

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits