Refusing the Stress
Radio Hostess: Lysa TerKeurst
Contributing Writer: Lysa TerKeurst

Mom, I have a project due tomorrow and I need poster board from the store. Mom, I left my gym shoes at home. Sound familiar? Hi I’m Lysa TerKeurst for Proverbs 31 Ministries. Most moms not only hear these kinds of cries for rescue but they also cringe at them as well. If we want to teach our kids to be responsible we can’t always rescue them. But as a mom that’s hard. I think a balance can be found in refusing to receive the stress of the situation by transferring it back to the child. I often respond, “Honey, this is why it is important to plan ahead and not wait until the last minute for things.” If it is realistic for me to help them without getting stressed then sometimes I will give them this gift of grace. If it is not realistic, then I help them process how to handle the consequences. Either way, my main job is to stay cool, calm and collected. For more great parenting ideas, visit us at www.proverbs31.org.

Related Resources:
Don’t Make Me Count to Three, by Ginger Plowman

The Five Love Languages of Children, by Gary Chapman


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits