When Toddlers Ask Why
Radio Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Renee Swope

Why oh why do toddlers keep asking WHY?

Hi, I’m Renee Swope for Proverbs 31 Ministries.

When my sons were little they would ask why over and over and over. Sometimes I’d get to the point where I relied on the trusty old, “Because I said so!” Or I’d keep silent, hoping they’d forget that they’d asked WHY?

But, over time I found the best way to handle the repeated “why” question was to give my child a reason he could relate to.

If I wanted him to take a nap, I would tell him I needed him to be full of energy that night because we were having dinner out with friends. I tried to keep it in the simplest terms possible and, if I had to, I repeated my answer.

You know, toddlers have short attention spans and sometimes they need extra time to process things. Although it can be a challenging stage, it’s good to remember that this is a time to help a child understand that for every action, there’s a outcome.

For more parenting encouragement, visit Proverbs 31 Ministries at Proverbs31.org.

Related Resources
Connect with Renee on her Blog and Facebook

Check out our Resources at P31

Find more free encouragement on our Everyday Life page


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits