Why Wait?
Radio Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Renee Swope

I’m grieving the loss of a friend and it’s really hard. Hi, I’m Renee Swope with Proverbs 31 Ministries. My friend, Kim, was a wonderful mom with three young children who’ll feel the pain of their loss for the rest of their lives. Her death has caused me to ask some tough questions about my own life. Although I know I’ll die someday, I tend to live like I have forever. But I don’t.

So, I’ve been wondering… what’re some things I’d want to do if I were diagnosed with a terminal illness? Would I write letters to my husband and kids telling them how I feel about them? Or make videos for their graduation or wedding days? Would I just want to spend every moment with them that I possibly could?

It’s easy not to think about these things when I don’t have a life-threatening illness. But, why wait? There’s so much I want to say and do, and, the reality is, I’m not guaranteed tomorrow.

I’d love to hear your thoughts. Click on Renee’s blog at Proverbs31.org!

Related Resources
Visit Renee’s Blog

Free devotion, Her Children Arise and Call Her Busy, by Sandy Cooper, She Speaks Graduate

Through a Season of Grief: Devotions for Your Journey from Mourning to Joy by Bill Dunn and Kathy Leonard

Labels: , , , ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your advice is more important than you realize. Two years ago I made an unexpected trip to the hospital in the middle of the night to take my wife of 35 years to the emergency room. She never came home, and I never had an opportunity to say good-bye or "I love you," nor could the kids make it to the hospital in time.

Take the time to enjoy your family and even make some memorabilia if you like.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom was one who always held everything inside and to some extent I mirrored that behavior. In the 90's she got breast cancer and she changed quite a bit. We spent a lot of time together before she died in 1996 and I learned a valuable lesson from my mom. When she knew she was going to die and was uncertain of how long she had left, she quit holding everything in. She shared her feelings whether we wanted to hear them or not and I truly believe that was healthier for her. I decided then that I wasn't going to wait until I was dying to say the things that needed to be said, to let people know that I love them or that they have hurt me or that their behavior is unacceptable. People can handle hearing what's in your heart so we shouldn't wait until it is too late to start sharing.

Blogger Renee Swope said...

Thank you both so much for sharing your stories. They have truly impacted my heart today. I plan to take your advice and share more with my kids as well as make keepsakes they will have long after I am gone.

Blessings to you and your families. Praying for your hearts to be filled with His comfort and peace this holiday season.

Renee

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits