Candy Canes
Radio Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Renee Swope

I love candy canes! And I love that I can use them to teach my kids about Jesus! Hi, I’m Renee Swope for Proverbs 31 Ministries. Recently I showed my sons how the Candy Cane can help us focus on Christ at Christmas. It’s shaped like a shepherd’s staff to remind us that God is our Shepherd. Upside down, it’s the letter J for Jesus. The red stripes can remind us that Jesus shed his blood for us on the cross and the white symbolizes his holiness. The scent of the candy is like hyssop, an herb used in Biblical times for healing to remind us that Jesus is our healer. The candy cane is sweet and meant to be broken and shared, just like Christ’s body was broken for us.

When I was finished, we decided to put this story on small pieces of paper and tie them to several dozen candy canes to share with our family and friends. If you’d like to share this with your family, click on Radio Transcripts at Proverbs31.org.

Related Resources
The ADVENTure of Christmas, by Lisa Whelchel

Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas, by Sharon Jaynes

Loved, free article from Every Day Life by Micca Campbell

Visit Renee’s Blog


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits