Helping A Child Who Worries
Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Renee Swope

What do you tell a child who is feeling anxious? Hi, I’m Renee Swope for Proverbs 31 Ministries.

My son just told me that he didn’t want to have ANY anxious thoughts today – he didn’t want to worry about me being here when he gets home from school, or about his teacher liking his science project.

I remembered some words from the Bible that encourage us to take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. Well, that seemed like a really hard concept for a kid so I tried to put it in terms he could understand.

I told him, “When you have a thought that makes you feel anxious, catch it like it’s a baseball.” I then cupped my hand like I was holding a ball and told him to look at it and ask, “Is this something Jesus would say to me?” If the answer is no, then throw that thought back into the outfield!

He smiled so big and said - Thanks Mom - as though all his worries were gone.

For more encouragement, visit Proverbs31.org.

Related Resources
Visit Renee’s Blog

When Your Child Worries, by Renee Swope

The Mom I Want to Be, by Suzie Eller


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits