Banana Bread Victory
Radio Hostess: Lysa TerKeurst
Contributing Writer: Lysa TerKeurst

Last night I conquered something big in my life. Hi I’m Lysa TerKeurst with Proverbs 31 Ministries. No, I didn't get through the day without getting frustrated at one of my kids. No, I didn't make a gourmet meal for my family.

My BIG news is that I DIDN'T THROW AWAY THE ROTTEN BANANAS. Finally I didn’t hide them in the bottom of the trashcan feeling guilty for being wasteful! No, I peeled and smashed, and stirred together all the ingredients required for homemade banana bread!

Okay…now here’s the challenge. What little task have you been avoiding? Organizing that junk drawer…a phone call to say I’m sorry…Why not conquer one of those tasks today? Just completing one thing made me feel so accomplished and free! Oh, and if you’re looking for a great banana bread recipe log on to Proverbs31.org.

Granny’s Homemade Banana Bread Recipe
Ingredients

-2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1 cup white sugar
-2 eggs
-1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
-4 ripe bananas, mashed
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-1 cup raisins (optional)
-1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
-In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and white sugar.
-Stir in eggs, applesauce, bananas and vanilla extract.
-Fold in raisins and nuts if desired. Pour batter into prepared pan.
-Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until a knife inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

Related Resources
Visit Lysa’s Blog

Hoarder Disorder, by Lysa Terkeurst

Cleaning Up The Clutter, by Emilie Barnes


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny

I was just doing the banana bread thing with my old bananas. I almost threw them away, but thought how much my kids would love warm banana bread for supper. I got tears in my eyes when I hear your "Banana Bread Victory". Thanks, it helps me to remember that God talks if we listen!
Lisa

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday was my banana bread day and hearing this today was confirmation of that! So funny how the simplest things hold us back - we just avoid them but on some level they can consume us... I just have to thank the Lord that He gives the courage and strength to just suck it up and take the plunge - be it saying, "I'm sorry," or making that banana bread in an effort to use everything we've been given... God is always there - it's amazing when we show up too!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God uses seemingly "useless" things (like overripened bananas and us!!) for good and beautiful things!!

I used to get overwhelmed with having too many overriped bananas until a friend told me she freezes hers in a ziploc bag and takes them out as needed for banana bread, etc..now I store them in the freezer until have time to bake. They seem to get darker when frozen, but I was also told that the darker the banana, the sweeter it is, so don't worry! You can take them out and thaw them at air temperature, or I use the microwave at times too (I peel them and put them on a plate first-but have done it also with the peel on--microwave for a couple of minutes-I don't drain away the liquid that comes out either-just crush the bananas with the liquid and add to your recipe-makes a moist banana bread!). My friend also says she puts them in some warm water to thaw quickly. Enjoy!!
Martine

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits