Needs or Wants
Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Jill Tracey

I’m trying to teach my kids the difference betweens wants and needs but sometimes I get in the way!

Hi, I’m Renee Swope for Proverbs 31 Ministries.

I’d love to blame our consumer based society for my kids’ imbalanced sense of need; but I often call things NEEDS that are really just wants. “I need a new purse. I need some shoes to go with my outfit. “

So, instead of saying I NEED I’m trying to say: “I’ve had this purse for two years. I’d like to buy a new one if we have it in the budget.” It’s not an earth shattering change…but it helps me realize a purse is not a NEED.

What I NEED is Jesus, water, healthy food, and good relationships with my husband and kids. A new purse is the icing…no, it’s the sprinkles on top of the icing on the cake of life!

I wonder if I change my own thinking that’ll I can help my kids change theirs!

For more on balancing your priorities, visit Proverbs 31 Ministries at Proverbs31.org.

Related Resources
Free devotion, Table Talk, by Micca Monda Campbell

Mining for Gold in the Heart of Your Child, CD and Character Chart by Renee Swope

Visit Renee’s Blog


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits