Prisoners or Partners?
Radio Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Melanie Chitwood

How do you feel after you and your husband have gotten into an argument? Hi, I’m Renee Swope with Proverbs 31 Ministries. Disagreements are bound to happen in marriage. But how we handle them will determine whether we walk away feeling like prisoners or partners.

When I dwell on the hurt, replaying the argument in my mind again and again, I end up hanging on to unforgiveness. Unforgiveness forms walls around my heart and we both end up like prisoners locked in separate cells. But if we go to God and ask Him to help us forgive each other and then talk truthfully and lovingly, we’re more likely to feel like partners. Our marriage ends up strengthened, not strained. Forgiveness is essential to keep the partnership in your marriage.

If your heart has become bitter toward your husband, why not take steps today to restore your closeness. Proverbs 31 Ministries is here to help you strengthen your marriage. For more encouragement, visit proverbs31.org.

Related Resources
Visit Renee’s Blog

What a Husband Needs from His Wife. by Melanie Chitwood

More Than One Special Day, a free devotion by Tracie Miles


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly what my husband and I need. But God has working in my heart and has helped me to understand my sin of unforgiveness, dwelling on the hurt, the argument etc. But my husband and I do not pray together. I have always wanted this and suggested it but he is cold to the idea and rejects it. Sometimes when he says grace, he will add brief requests. we are doing better and I feel there is progress so I am praising the Lord and not feeling like a prisoner. Thank you for bringing this up. It is helpful to know that someone else feels the way I do.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always amazed how God gives the words I need to hear. I've been feeling exactly how you put it ...a prisoner! No more! As the previous comment said, my husband is also not on the same "wavelength" when it comes to spiritual issues. We argue and lock ourselves away from each other and from God. This is not what marriage is supposed to be. So I have decided that, at least for my part, I will let God transform me. The Lord will take care of my husband. All I can do is what God tells me to do, and no longer let the situation rob me of His joy! Thank you for articulating what I have been trying to wrap my head around for some time! God bless!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits