The Gift of Listening
Hostess: Renee Swope
Contributing Writer: Renee Swope

The other night my husband was calling our 13-year-old dachshund to come get a treat, but she wasn’t budging. Hi, I’m Renee Swope for Proverbs 31 Ministries. We joked about Chelsea having “selective hearing” - since it was her bedtime - or perhaps she's going deaf.

My son Andrew looked at me with concerned on his face and said, “Mom, I hope you don’t go deaf like Chelsea when you get old.” I laughingly asked why.

"Cause sometimes you don’t hear me now. Like when you're on the computer and I ask you a question; you don’t hear me.” Ouch, I wasn’t expecting that answer! But instead of drowning myself in guilt, I pulled him close and apologized. I told him from now on I am going to stop what I’m doing and really listen when he talks to me.

Listening is a gift we can give to those we love. It doesn’t cost much. And we give it every time we stop what we’re doing and turn our full attention to them. For more encouragement, visit Proverbs31.org.

Related Resources
Being a Great Mom, Raising Great Kids, by Sharon Jaynes

Free Devotion, All Your Heart, by Melissa Taylor

Visit Renee’s Blog

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Archives
Previous Posts
Links
Credits